History 3
Welcome to Pakefield Coastwatch
Pakefield Coastwatch is a member of the Sea Safety Group of Coastwatch stations.

Home. Volunteers. Gallery. Contact Us. History.


In April 1938 the Royal Observer Corps, Group 14 Delta 4, reporting directly to Bury St Edmunds H.Q., were stationed at the lighthouse. The roof was removed so that any approaching aircraft or vessels could be clearly seen. Open to the elements some of their watches could be cold and miserable, but this tedium was often relieved by chatting to ATS. girls billeted in the cottages at the lighthouse. The holiday camp was used as a Transit camp for refugees and troops of various nationalities.

An aerial photograph taken in the 1950’s

Next Page.