Pakefield Coastwatch is a member of the Sea Safety Group, an Association of independent Coastal Surveillance stations
A Photograph taken in the early 1930’s of the Pakefield Holiday Camp when it was
Pakefield Holiday Camp
In the late 1920's, Howard Barrett of Pakefield Hall opened the Pakefield Hall Camp
that comprised of tents standing in farmland. In the 1930's, as the camp became more
popular, they replaced the tents with wooden chalets and it became known as THE PAKEFIELD
HOLIDAY CAMP, offering "150 acres that include Bowling Greens, Putting Greens, Tennis
Courts and Dancing, free. Sun and Sea bathing on a fine smooth sandy beach that extends
for three miles. Whist Drives and Concerts arranged". Part of the lighthouse and
its attached cottages served as a bar for the Holiday Camp during the 1930's.
In 1958, Pontin's bought the camp and with the building of the modem bars, restaurants
and a large indoor swimming pool, became, as it is today, a popular Holiday centre.
In the 1960’s the Pontin’s Holiday Centre photographers used the lighthouse as a
darkroom and the resident photographer lived in the keepers’ cottage.